Thursday, September 18, 2008

Post Ike Photos of Tina's


It looks worse than it is. At first I was devastated by the pictures I saw, especially of The Admiralty, which fared far worse than Tina's. But after taking another look and really thinking about what it would take to get the store back up and running, I think this is a very doable situation. We just need to be able to get down there to work.

Eric made it back, but I only was able to down load a couple photos before the battery on the camera died, so more will come tomorrow. Boyce, Tina's manager, got Eric on the island with one of her fabulous connections and she seemed relatively hopeful today when I talked with her. Of course, if you know Boyce, there are no bad days, but she was realistic in looking at what had to be done.

The weird thing about the storm damage inside the buildings was the randomness of how things moved. Tables that were on the first floor, floated up to the second level, some with the things on top untouched.

I loved this photo taken by the woman who helped Boyce and Eric get on the island. You can see the waterline on the wall and that was on the second floor of the store.

Pretty much everything downstairs was turned upside down, except the Casafina table, which has beautiful serving pieces filled with mud.

Today was a very rough day for everyone. My sister's house was flooded to three feet or so, but I think it can be fixed if we get in there soon. My parents condo seems to be ok, but The Admiralty will need a lot of work and the mold is growing so fast, I'm afraid that may be our biggest worry.

I will get more images tomorrow, but for now I bid you good night.

1 comment:

Brad said...

Wendy,

This is a very sad post. I had the pleasure of visiting Galveston during Christmas 2004 and August 2005, just days before Hurricane Rita.

My wife and I just loved the Strand, and The Admiralty was one of my favorite shops. I have a few photos of the amazing model ships.

We have been looking for several days to see how badly the Strand was hit. We saw on TV the damage from Rita, and knew that this would likely be much worse.

We wish you and your family the best, and I hope that both stores will return to their former glory.

Brad & Suzanne Hiron
Ottawa, ON Canada